The recipe for the molasses spice cookies called for a quarter teaspoon of dry mustard. This made me very curious how the cookies would turn out.
Dry mustard I've had in my cabinet for at least 5 years. How long does this stuff keep?
Why a bull? This dry mustard means business!
The recipe called for shortening instead of butter, margarine, or even butter flavor Crisco.
Egg and molasses before they get mixed into the sugar and vegetable shortening
The dry ingredients-flour, salt, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, ginger, and of course, mustard
Silpat-I forgot I had this fabulous baking gadget until someone reminded me the other day. I received it as a gift, from the same fine couple to give me the immensely useful Metric Wonder Cup. Silpat is like a technologically advanced parchment paper. I wanted to know exactly what Silpat was composed of, and Wikipedia came to my rescue. "Silpat is the brand name of a popular silicone mat used in baking and in the production of candy to provide a non-stick surface without fat or parchment paper. Silpats contain a glass fiber weave that reinforces the silicone. It was invented by the French chemist Guy Demarle "
I used Silpat in addition to the parchment paper and I can't say it is superior to the parchment paper, but it is not inferior. I think i will have to perform further testing before I can reach a conclusion. When I bake tuiles, a long time from now (they appear on page 186 and I am currently on page 39), I think that's when Silpat will really come in handy.
Verdict: While the mustard did give the cookies some nice spicy heat I wouldn't make them again. They were too crunchy and crispy. I couldn't tell if that is how they were supposed to turn out, or if I left them in the oven too long. I have a standard gingerbread cookie recipe that so far none of the ones in this cookbook have been able to surpass.
Stay tuned for next week's selections:
Baker's One Bowl Coconut Macaroons. There is an option for Chocolate Dipped Macaroons which I will try.
Bran Fruit and Nut Cookies
Oatmeal Pecan Scotchies
Grape Hyacinth from Jill's garden. Elliot was sweet and picked it just for me!
Mustard?!? Fabulous! I think I did have one of these cookies at the decorating party, but failed to note anything other than deliciousness, my palete, as it is, dulled by years of smoking and drinking.
ReplyDeleteI like that your mustard means business!
I like spicy crunchy crispy! Send them my way!
ReplyDelete