Sunday, April 17, 2011

Part XIX: Maple Walnut Cookies

I was looking forward to making these because I like maple syrup and I don't come across many recipes based around it.

I didn't get past the A's while perusing iTunes so these cookies were made to the sounds of the French electronic duo, Air, an Icelandic group, Amina, and a one man project from San Diego, The Album Leaf, all soothing to an ear that has heard too much keyboard clacking at work this week. Ugh.

All the ingredients I am using for this weekend's three selections.

Some seriously well loved parchment paper. Its starting to disintegrate, I might be forced to use (gasp!) new pieces soon!

This is a little creepy

Warning: Colorful bowls were used in the making of these cookies

The stunning metric wonder cup is being put to use again, for the decidedly less stunning "butter flavor" Crisco.

Instead of maple syrup, I used maple cream, which we have an abundance of in tiny jars from various Christmases and other holidays.

I figured that the microwave would turn the thick maple cream into a pourable syrup. I didn't think a minute in the microwave would turn the maple cream into this. Oops.

Yellow bowl in use

Green bowl's turn

Outfitted with a walnut

Camera shy

Red bowl used for display purposes

Milo on the move

Verdict: I'd give these another try. They were a little dry and crunchy, two traits I do not generally like in a cookie, but the flavor was alright. I have to wonder if my destroyed by microwave maple cream was to blame for the texture.

Next Up: Fresh Orange Cookies

2 comments:

  1. OMG you absolutely need the red bowl from my childhood!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maple cream??? Where can one find such a thing?

    Your picture of colorful bowls delights me.

    My colorful pots that you gave me for my birthday cheer me up at work! I love seeing them; they are very cheerful. The littlest plants didn't make it, but the aloe and the snake's tongues are doing just fine! and after 5 months, I think they have adjusted to the level of care I offer and are out of the Danger Zone, so I'm feeling good about them.

    ReplyDelete