Yes, another frosted lemon cookie recipe! I was looking forward to making these, as I do enjoy a good lemon cookie, and since the recipe had me using cookie cutters, I decided to use some I've had forever but hardly ever use.
If you said to yourself, are those Jewish themed cookie cutters, then by golly you'd be right! I got a set as a gift many years ago, and am glad to get the chance to not only use them but show them off.
I decided to go a little nuts with these cookies and dye the dough blue, with some food coloring I've had sitting in my cabinet for quite a few years. The last time I used it was to color cupcake frosting for my friends Jill and Jason's baby shower. That was almost three years ago now, so its about time I used it again.
When it was time to frost these Semitic bad boys I decided to use a cookie decorating kit my fabulous friend Beth had given me many years ago, which I had not yet found an occasion to use. Actually, I'll probably have lots of occasions to use it in the future as I plow my way through this cookbook.
Its super old school, and I think she found the complete set for me at a thrift shop, which just makes it that much more fun and cool to use.
Here are the final results. Let me point out two things first:
1-I have never used these cookie decorating implements before
2-Beth and I (and our significant others) had just gone to the Portland Art Museum, which you may see inspired my frosting results
I do like all types of art, from Renaissance to Contemporary. I tried to think about who my frosting squiggles could have been inspired by. I couldn't come up with anyone specific, unfortunately, except Jackson Pollock, which is kind of a cop out. Any suggestions from my faithful readers would be appreciated!
And on the art tip, I just read that the Portland Art Museum acquired the 159 piece Clement Greenberg Collection in 2000. Clement Greenberg was an influential art critic in the heyday of the Modern Art/Abstract Expressionism era. That is nothing to sneeze at. Portland Art Museum, color me impressed! And hats off to Beth for suggesting our outing there last night!
Verdict: I would not make these cookies again. They weren't bad, but the previous lemon cookies I made, Double Lemon Delights, where much better.
Next up: Oatmeal Apple Cookies
"Semitic bad boys" - heh.
ReplyDeleteBig ups to Bethy Beth!