Saturday, March 26, 2011

Part X: Honey Ginger Snaps

I made these cookies on Thursday evening so I could spread the love, so to speak. Making three different kinds of cookies in one day, and taking all the requisite photos is not only time consuming but exhausting.

I didn't take many photos but here they are:


Oh Metric Wonder Cup, how I love thee, let me count the ways! (but not in this blog right now. I will count them later, alone, in the dark.)

That's the honey I used in the recipe. A quarter cup of honey in a cookie recipe=delicious cookies

The final product


The recipe had me rolling the cookies in sugar before putting them in the oven, but my ingenious husband suggested rolling them in brown sugar instead. The cookies came out with a wonderful caramelized crunchy coating. Clearly, sometimes husbands are useful.

While I'm on the subject of brown sugar, I have found, while working my way through this book, that organic brown sugar actually does make a huge difference in the quality of the finished product. Not only does it look and smell better, it doesn't dry out as fast as regular brown sugar.

As I type this blog entry, I am listening to my new favorite radio show "The Magic Number", on Portland's 107.1, Saturday evenings from 6-8pm (And no, they did not ask me to plug their show!). Which reminds me that I just got The Cure's "Disintegration" box set.


Which then prompted me to remember how much I completely, unabashedly, and thoroughly loved Robert Smith and The Cure throughout most of my high school and college career.

Oh Robert Smith, how I loved thee! I won't count the ways because that's just another whole blog unto itself.

Okay, back to the cookies.

Verdict: Yes, I would most certainly make these cookies again. They were moist, from the honey, and had a wonderfully snappy ginger flavor, from the tablespoon of ground ginger called for in the recipe.

Next up: Favorite Lemon Cookies

1 comment: