I was excited about making these cookies, as I thought they might be reminiscent of tasty apple cinnamon oatmeal. The recipe did call for raisins and I substituted prunes (again!) because I still had some left over. I also subbed out walnuts in favor or pecans.
My soundtrack for these cookies was "Uncut Diamond" by the artist Warm Ghost. Alexis gave this disc to me, because she had a feeling I would like its 80's esque electronic ramblings. And she was right. In fact, Warm Ghost does a cover of The Cure's "All Cats Are Gray", which was damn good. I'm not usually a fan of covers, especially covers of my favorite bands, but this was an exception.
I perused the internet to find out a little more about Warm Ghost, and I came across the term "cold wave", which is described by Wikipedia as "the French variant of Dark Wave, gothic rock and post-punk music, primarily spread in France, South Belgium and Romandy". This made me laugh because it reminded me of another micro/sub genre called witch house, which the trusty Wikipedia describes as "a term used to describe a subgenre of industrial music, which features a prominent hip-hop influence, specifically the 1990s Houston chopped and screwed sound pioneered by DJ Screw." I guess I find it pretty amazing that people will spend a lot of time not only coming up with descriptions of genres within genres, but pigeonholing artists to fit into these neat little categories.
With that said, lets get back to cookie talk.
Verdict: I would not make these again. They aren't bad, but after making so many other cookies, featuring cinnamon and oats, these are inferior to last week's molasses oatmeal cookies.
Next week's selections are:
Coconut Cream Cheese Cookies. I have some mascarpone on hand that needs to be used, so I will be making these with half cream cheese and half mascarpone
Old Fashioned Harvest Cookies
Oatmeal Hermits
Heh -- I like the soundtrack addition to it all!
ReplyDeleteCoconut Cream Cheese! The vote is in!
I love the pictures for this one! It's like a photo essay; I get to see all the pieces come together.
ReplyDeleteAlso, you have lots of really nice stuff, stuff that I like.