Sunday, March 20, 2011

Part IX: Basic Icebox Cookie Dough/Date Maraschino Pinwheels

First reaction to these cookies: GROSS. Maraschino cherries? In a cookie? I can just about stand them when they garnish a cocktail, but I would never willingly put them in a cookie. That seems wrong, so very wrong. But I didn't have much of a choice. The recipe was actually for Basic Icebox Cookie Dough, with three options at the bottom for making different types of cookies with maraschino cherries. Of the three, the most disgusting one was combining maraschino cherries and dates. Why would anyone think of doing this? So of course I had to make them. Who knows, maybe I would discover that maraschino cherries and dates are one of the great undiscovered taste sensations. I could rival peanut butter cups with my delicious maraschino date pinwheels! So like a power mad baker, a veritable Purple Pieman, I hatched my nefarious plot.

Dates!


Maraschino Cherries!



Dates and cherries heated up in a pan to make a thick (delicious?) paste


The foil: basic cookie dough


Dough rolled out with date cherry paste, ready to get rolled up and chilled overnight.


Chilled dough is sliced and ready to pop into the oven


Voila!



Verdict: If you've ever seen a Strawberry Shortcake cartoon you know the Purple Pieman's evil plans never work. So, it is with great sadness that I must inform my dear readers that the date & maraschino cherry combination will never replace chocolate and peanut butter in the hearts of the masses.

And no, I would never make these cookies again.


With that said, here are next week's contenders:

Honey Ginger Snaps

Favorite Lemon Cookies with Lemon Frosting

Oatmeal Apple Cookies

On the whole, next week's group sounds more promising then this week. Stay tuned!

1 comment:

  1. Sounds like Weezie's in the cookie doldrums! Well, these pinwheel cookies LOOK totally delicious, so you're doing something right.

    I must agree, maraschino cherries sound pretty off-putting, when there are so many delicious and worthy fruits one could use in this kind of cookie. Why not regular cherries?

    I look forward to next week's projects! The photos all look great!

    ReplyDelete