Monday, March 7, 2011

Part III: Double Lemon Delights

Let me start off by saying I am a blogging fool today. I am home from work because I feel like absolute, well I feel horrible. My husband starting hacking up his lungs over the weekend and he sweetly passed his cold onto me. In the immortal words of Cameron Fry, I feel "shredded".

Out of the three cookies I made this weekend, these were the ones I was looking forward to the most. I like lemon, so lemon cookies with lemon icing couldn't be anything but a winner in my book. My father in-law agrees with me, and if I knew of a guaranteed way to mail them across the country intact they'd be making their way to the east coast as I type.

The soundtrack this time around was chosen by my husband, a band called the Clientele. They are British, and perfect for listening to on grey rainy days (which there are plenty of here in the Pacific Northwest).

The most exciting part about making these cookies, to me, aside from eating them, was getting to use the bird lemon zester I received as a gift from my in-laws a few years back. I don't have many chances to zest citrus fruits so I got pretty psyched. I probably zested a little more then I needed to, but the peels kept coming off and making these sweet curlicue shapes. And yes, Portlandia viewers, I knew the zester was a piece of art because it had a bird on it!







The cookies are so large because the directions actually said drop by the quarter cupful onto the cookie sheet.  Those indentations in the dough come from a pattern on the bottom of a tumbler, which I greased with Crisco and dipped in sugar.


Here they are iced. The icing called for a tablespoon of lemon zest that had been chopped fine, I don't know if it will come through on the photo but it does give the cookies a nice look, because the icing is white dotted with yellow.




Verdict: I would make these again. Its actually the icing that makes the cookie, the lemon flavor is much more noticeable and the icing provides a nice contrast in texture.


Side note: I just started the first book of The Hunger Games Trilogy. Awesome!

Stay tuned for next week when I'll be making:
Date-Oatmeal Cookies
Frosted Pumpkin Softies
Gingersnaps

2 comments:

  1. Love love the bird zester and despite the fear of bunnies, the coaster is pretty sweet too. That said let me know what you think of Hunger Games I tried it many times and just never went back. Keep up the good baking!

    ReplyDelete
  2. These look really tasty! Did I miss out on sampling these? I think so.

    ReplyDelete