Saturday, March 12, 2011

Part V: Gingersnaps

Let me just put it out there that I like using Roman numerals in the titles to these posts. Makes me feel smart, especially as it gets later in the year and I get to use a C or L. Because that's the kind of cool person I am. Also, I like doing my taxes. Maybe those two things go together? And no, I don't want to do your taxes.

Gingersnaps were next up in my recipe book. I immediately thought of Graham crackers, which I recalled as being originally created by a minister to help suppress the urge to masturbate-Wikipedia backs me up here as well as Snopes. Bland foods supposedly being a way to curb excess carnal desires. Yum!

So with that in mind I baked my way through the recipe, noting that in addition to keeping me from masturbating at that very moment the cookies are also vegan. The recipe calls for applesauce and margarine instead of egg and butter. Take whatever conclusions you will from those two facts.



This handy tool, above left, is called the Metric Wonder Cup. It was a birthday gift a few years back from my friends Ted and Jim. And let me tell it indeed works wonders. I love this kitchen gadget. I can use it for things like honey, molasses, and vegetable shortening. Anything that would present a little bit of difficulty with a regular measuring cup or spoon. The cylinder has all different types of measurements on it, like teaspoons, cups, milliliters and fluid ounces.



Once you've got your desired amount in the wonder cup you can push the bottom back through and viola! No mess! Or at least a lot less mess then you would if you had to take a spatula and scrape out molasses from a measuring cup.


Now back to our regularly scheduled program




Verdict: If you guessed I would not make these cookies again you would be correct! I did listen to Autechre however, which was the most enjoyable part.

2 comments:

  1. Wouldn't make them again cause you don't like gingersnaps? Or cause you don't like these? I tried them two winters ago and mine came out tasty but hard and brittle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Metric Wonder Cup sounds amazing! Inspired by you, I baked vegan peanut butter cookies last week, and could have used a Metric Wonder Cup for both shortening and peanut butter. I hope next weekend leads you to more satisfying cookies! And may your only dates be with the Imperial JC.

    ReplyDelete