Monday, March 7, 2011

Weezie the Cookie Warrior: Making 2011 Better

Hello! This is my first attempt at blogging, so bear with me. Old dog, new tricks, etc.

Why am I starting this blog? Well, 2010 was a pretty terrible year for me.  There were too many deaths of people (and pets) who were dear to me.  The most traumatic being my mother, who died almost a year after being diagnosed with pancreatic cancer, in October of 2010.  Around Christmas, I was looking through my cookbooks, trying to plan Christmas dinner, when I came across the one pictured below.

My mom had given it to me a few years back, as she was trying to scale back her collection.  When I came across it I thought of her, which put a smile on my face.  Too often, I noticed, the memories of her I had were not good ones.  I can be a bit critical at times, and throughout the years she often bore the brunt of that, whether she knew it or not.  So when I saw the cookbook, I was pleased that it brought up memories which made me smile. As I flipped through it, I realized I had hardly used the thing.  I love to cook, but I'm not much of a baker, so I came up with the brilliant idea of baking my way through the book.  None of the recipes looked too complicated, so it wasn't like I was going to start out trying to make croissants. And yes, I had heard of "Julie and Julia",  and liked the idea of not picking and choosing what I wanted out of the cookbook, but plowing my way through the thing. And last, but not least, I hoped that every time I picked up the book, it would keep the memories of my mother sweet.

So, in the spirit of all of these things, I thought I would give "The Great Cookie Project of 2011" a shot.  I started in January, but never thought about blogging about my efforts until a fabulous friend suggested it (thank you Alexis!). So, here I am, Weezie the weekend cookie warrior, attempting the Great Cookie Project of 2011.  Every weekend I will be baking 2-3 different selections, and recording my experiences.  Of course there will be photos, food porn, as my husband likes to say.  That's actually something else I am hoping will improve over the course of this project: My photography skills are, well, they aren't, lets just say that.

The book my mother gave me



So with all of that said, here is what is on the agenda for next weekend:
Domino Sugar Cookies (Yes Domino as in the brand of sugar-blatant advertising much?  Will they come out awful if I use generic sugar?)
Date-Nut Macaroons
Double Lemon Delights

Stay tuned!


Phyllis is the resident eye candy-she will not be used in any recipes

10 comments:

  1. and you will send me the cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LP,

    I look forward to your posts. I miss you. You guys took me in when my mom passed and I still think of you all as family. I miss both our Moms dearly. I have a giant Greek cookbook of my Mom's and I love to touch the butter stained pages...

    Love,
    Elpida

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am glad you are finally doing it! I can't wait to follow your adventures.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I can comment now! yay! Can't wait to read more!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love WAR and I love COOKIES! Go Cookie Warrior! I am prepared to do cookie battle with you, upon fair notice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i like the pictures you have so far... and think kitties always fit with cookies but glad they are not in the batter.
    looking forward to reading and learning and maybe hearing some stories about your mama.
    x0
    m

    ReplyDelete
  7. The macaroons were freaking delicious. Egg whites!

    I am happy to lend my tasting skillz to assist you...please send more. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Aw, reminds me of how we experimented with cooking & baking in your mom's kitchen... I'm sure there were some yummy successes, but the disasters were more memorable!

    Looking forward to reading the next post.
    xoxo-c

    ReplyDelete
  9. I am wondering where the oatmeal sandwich cookies are in this blog as, so far, they are my FAV! Even Dr. Pank agrees (although I do not know how much weight this holds as he is a cat).

    The sugar cookies were also very good and ~wait for it~ full of sugar. I will try the date nut macaroons tonight after dinner.

    !Thanks be to The Cookie Warrior!

    ReplyDelete
  10. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hwzZSAjNXn4

    Cookie Warrior cats!

    ReplyDelete