Monday, May 30, 2011

Part XXXIX: Chocolate Orange Dreams

Yesterday was such a typical Portland day. While most of the country had warm, sunny weather for Memorial Day weekend this is what we had.

The temperature didn't reached past 60 degrees. It was so overcast I don't think I saw the sun once. Yuck.

The recipe called for sour cream. I'm hoping that a cup of sour cream reverses my dry cookie trend. Next to the sour cream you can really tell what a fake yellow color the butter flavor Crisco is. I definitely don't want to know what is put in there to give it the color of a yellow highlighter.

My handy birdie zester to the rescue again!


I needed fresh orange juice for the batter and the glaze.



Once they finished baking, I immediately brushed them with a glaze consisting of orange juice, powdered sugar, and orange liqueur. I used Triple Sec. I tried to capture how shiny they looked after brushing on the glaze.




Why doesn't Phyllis sit still so I can take a good photo?


Verdict: I think the sour cream DID help! These cookies were much softer and more moist then the previous two recipes. Unfortunately I don't think the Triple Sec added a good flavor to the glaze. I didn't realize how sweet Triple Sec was on its own, and combined with powdered sugar it made my teeth hurt. The fresh squeezed orange juice couldn't cut through the painful sweetness. I would make these cookies again, without the glaze.

Next Week's Selections:

Butterscotch Sugar Drops

Double Chocolate Cranberry Chunkies

Chocolate Oatmeal Chippers

1 comment:

  1. Oh, these sound super-duper delicious to me. I heart orange and chocolate. With this cookbook you've been working out of, I've been impressed with the range of flavors it can get out of basically the same ingredients. And butter-flavor Crisco. Have you tasted it? Does it taste like butter? I'm guessing it does not.

    ReplyDelete